In this Dr. SAM Wellness Newsletter July 2017 edition:
*Canada Proposes Healthier Food Guide
*Berry Berry Juicy Recipe
*Q & A with Dr. SAM
March 11th-18th 2018!
When you attend this awesome retreat, you will be joining others in paradise to experience:
- AMAZING breathtaking Waterfalls!
- FUN and challenging Jungle Hikes!
- BEAUTIFUL exotic Beaches!
- TANTALIZING fruits and other delicious Tropical Raw Food Delights!
- YOGA and corrective exercise classes to improve posture and fitness!
- PRIVATE individual bodywork sessions!
- TONS of daily action and adventure!
- AND TOTAL HEALTH EMPOWERMENT– for one whole week in a Costa Rica!
Your life will be transformed for sure! You will have FUN! And… You will leave feeling totally empowered with an understanding of how to take better care of yourself for the rest of your life!
Check out the short “Testimonial Video” below from those who attended this year in 2017!
Again, the next AMAZING RETREAT is happening in Costa Rica:
If you want to experience a TRUE Wellness Retreat that is unique and will leave you feeling Recharged, Rejuvenated, and Regenerated, then this is a MUST ATTEND EVENT!
More details here >>> Costa Rica Retreat Details
New! – North GA Mountain Retreat- Fall 2017!
Update!- Last call for the North GA retreat! Some people have already signed up and still looking for others that are interested!
This retreat will be Sept 28th-Oct.1st 2017 in the North GA Mountains.
So, if you’re interested, contact me ASAP so we can make this happen!
More details here >>> North GA Mountain Retreat Details
If your organization would like to work with me as a speaker or corporate wellness consultant, please reach out and contact me here >>> Contact Dr. SAM
You can also connect with me on my YouTube Channel here >>> Dr. SAM on You Tube
Woodstock Fruit Festival 2017 Update
Over 500 attendees have already registered for Woodstock 2017 representing 15 countries – Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Israel, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom, 36 states nationwide – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin, and Puerto Rico
If you are still not registered, do so by July 31st, before the admission fees rise on Aug 1st.
If you’ve never attended (and want to go this year), you can receive a $100 DISCOUNT when registering.
Just enter the the discount code “SAM” on the last page of the festival application.
The Festival is set to be filled with:
- TONS Of Tantalizing Exotic Fruits and other food delights!
- High-energy vibrant people from around the world sharing thoughts, ideas, visions, hugs, and MUCH LOVE ‘n SUPPORT!
- Beautiful music- guitar; didgeridoo; drumming; singing; and transformational dance.
- Educational Lectures and classes to help participants become TRULY EMPOWERED and transform their health!
- Beach parties; therapeutic mud baths; lake water front (swimming; water toys; kayaks…)
- Arts/Crafts; Tie-dying; massage circles; social games; bodywork; and camp fires!
- TONS of FUN to be experienced each day.
This epic event will be happening again in pristine nature at Camp Walden on Trout Lake in the Southern Adirondacks.
More details about the event can be found here >>> Woodstock Fruit Festival
*Canada Proposes Healthier Food Guide
The Canadian government has released a new proposed food guide for their country. It definitely has some much healthier recommendations, including:
- Focus on plant-based foods. The draft guidelines recommend regular intake of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and protein-rich foods, especially plant-based sources of protein.
- Drinking plain water as the beverage of choice.
- Limit the intake of processed or prepared foods and beverages high in sodium and sugar.
- Plan and prepare healthy meals and snacks.
- Share meals with friends and family when possible. (Having meals together can reinforce positive eating habits and help children develop healthy attitudes toward food.)
- Be more mindful about food. (The guidelines encourage people to learn more about where food comes from and how it’s prepared. Other practices they encourage include taking time to eat and savor every bite, paying attention to feelings of hunger and fullness, and avoiding distractions while eating.
The new guidelines are also good for planetary health as well. It acknowledges that food, “can have environmental implications, such as greenhouse gas emissions (GHG), soil degradation, decreases in water quality and availability, and wildlife loss.” They acknowledge that diets higher in plant-based foods and lower in animal- based foods are associated with a lesser environmental impact. And they emphasize the need to reduce food waste.
So, why is this new Food Guide being proposed. Just like America (and other parts of the world), Canadian’s health is suffering. More than 60% of their population is overweight and 4 out of 5 people are at risk for developing heart disease. As such, they decided to propose a healthier solution, which meant excluding lobbyists and industry pundits from consultations for the new food guide. If all goes well, this New Food Guide will be adopted and put into effect in 2018! Kudos to Canada– hopefully this helps to have a global impact as well!
Being fully committed to your health entails…
- Making health a “top priority” in your life.
- Choosing wisely and healthfully each day.
- Being resilient and not giving up on yourself.
- Staying focused and grounded.
- Surrounding yourself with an environment (people, places, things) that promotes good health.
- Continuously investing (time, money, energy, learning) into your health.
- Self-accountability (having a way to hold yourself accountable).
- Self-responsibility (taking full ownership for your health and life).
- Continuously seeking to improve your level of health.
*Berry Berry Juicy
Here’s another scrumptious plant-based option to help raise your level of vitality! Packed with nutrition, this scrumptious meal is sure to deliver!
Ingredients: (preferably organic)
- Freshly squeezed orange juice (2 cups)
- Mixed berries (2 lbs)
Directions: Juice the oranges and pour the juice into the blender with 1/3 of berries, blend till frothy. Place remaining berries into a bowl and pour “broth” over top. Enjoy trying as many berry combos as nature provides!!
This recipe is from Chris Kendall’s new book: 50 More Frickin’ Rawsome Recipes! As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN), Raw Food Lifestyle Coach, and Yoga Teacher, Chris Kendall has helped transform hundreds of lives. Whether it’s through his raw food demos, public speaking, blog and social media, health coaching, or even his skateboarding, Chris’s passion to inspire and help others find better health can be felt at a deep level. More details about Chris here: The Raw Advantage
*Q & A with Dr. SAM
Question: A Wellness Newsletter Reader asks: “I like to go jogging on a daily basis. I often notice that adjusting to the first mile is very difficult for me. After that, I seem to be okay. Do you have any suggestions?”
Answer: When transitioning from walking to jogging, the body has to transition and adapt to this task. As such, there will be a “break in” period. However, what I have noticed with many joggers that I have observed, is that they do not often perform an adequate warm-up. What I often see is some basic walking and a few calf stretches and their own their way. This is not a sufficient way to warm up. A more thorough warm-up might include: dynamic foam roller stretching; joint mobility drills (like ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, and neck/trunk circles); body-weight exercises (such as squats; lunges; step-ups; calf raises; bird-dogs; or mountain climbers); and/or some light resistance work with bands or weights.
The warm-up period is a time to adequately prepare for the tasks that follow. Jogging should not be an exception.
Thanks for your question.
How to get your questions answered?
If you have a question for Dr. Sam you’d like answered in an upcoming Wellness Newsletter please use the Contact Info Form As I get a ton of emails, please put the following in the subject line of the contact form: “Question for future newsletter”, so that I can find it much easier.
If you know anyone that may benefit from receiving my Natural Health Newsletter, please feel free to send them to DrSamPT.com so they can sign up.
In loving service,
Dr. Samuel A. Mielcarski, DPT
You can connect with me here:
Copyright- Dr. Samuel A. Mielcarski, DPT, 2017. All rights reserved.
No part of this Wellness Newsletter may be reprinted without permission of the author.